In an article for Personnel Today we cover how employers should deal with data subject access requests from their employees and what changes to expect with the GDPR in May 2018.
The article considers:
- What is a data subject access request?
- What is personal data?
- What constitutes a valid request?
- What can the employee request?
- What information can you exclude?
- When must you comply with the request?
- What is the scope of the search?
- What are the changes in May 2018?
Also included is a handy check-list if you receive a request.
Although their main purpose is to enable the individual to check that his or her data is processed lawfully in accordance with the Data Protection Act, many employees use requests as fishing exercises prior to legal action.